International Jury decision promotes Tom Dolan (IRL) to Stage 1 winnner

 

NEWSFLASH
 Kinsale, IRL, Friday 1st September 2023 

Image shows   Malo Le Peru (OC Sport Pen Duick project manager), Augustin Boeuf (Regional Councilor of Normandy, Nautical Delegate), Amandine François-Goguillon (Deputy Mayor of the City of Caen, in charge of Education and Equality Opportunities, Family and Early Childhood), Mélanie Lepoultier (Vice-President of the Department of Calvados in charge of boating), Dominique Rose (Advisor of the Calvados Department), Stéphane Nevé, (Head of Sailing Projects at Paprec)  Photo ©Alexis Courcoux

Tom Dolan arrives into Kinsale s

Photo ©Alexis Courcoux

International Jury decision promotes Tom Dolan (IRL) to Stage 1 winnner
Jury decisions change rankings on the first stage of La Solitaire du Figaro Paprec,Tom Dolan (IRL) wins leg to Kinsale.  


The rankings for the first stage of the 54 La Solitaire du Figaro Paprec were altered this morning after decisions made by the International Jury.


The French rookie skipper who crossed the finish line first yesterday morning into Kinsale,Ireland Benoît Tuduri (CAPSO - En Cavale) received a 30-minute penalty after a protesta gainst him from the Race Committee for breaking a class rule. He retains his position as first rookie on the Beneteau Bizuths ranking but drops to fourth.


Following this decision, without appeal, the Irish skipper Tom Dolan (Smurfit Kappa -Kingspan) becomes winner of the 610 miles first stage of the 54th edition of the race.  


He becomes the first Irish skipper to win a stage of the annual multi-stage solo offshore race since compatriot Damian Foxall won in 1998 on the third leg from Gijon into Concarneau.


It is a remarkable success for Dolan whose first everrace was round the Fastnet only ten years ago.


Other Jury decisions affect Julie Simon (DOUZE) who was third across the line but receiveda 17-minute penalty. She is now 17th in the stage.


Switzerland’s Nils Palmieri(TeamWork) and Robin Marais (Ma Chance Moi aussi) are now second and third)  


In summary
Tom Dolan moves to the top of the provisional general classification of the54th Solitaire du Figaro Paprec.
Julie Simon goes from 3rd to 17th place after jury.
Edouard Golbery and Ben Beasley(NZL)  each receive a 15-minute penalty


Winner ofthe first stage and leader of the provisional general classification Tom Dolan emerged from his post race Physiotherapy session this morning to be told he has become the stage winner. He said:


“ It feels weird right now, it will take time to sink in and it is not the way I would want to win a stage. I feel sorry for Benoit but I guess as a rookie he just didn't know the rules. I had tough start to the season with doing my Round Ireland record attempt and not making the time I needed, and otherwise I have not really been on top form, and I was worried about this leg because it is home waters and I am coming home and the last time I came here I did terribly –I was down in the 30s – and so winning this first leg of La Solitaire du Figaro with all these things going on in my head  it feels great.”


“I believeI am the first Irish sailor to win a stage of La Solitaire since Damian Foxallin 1998. and considering my first ever race was the Mini Fastnet in 2013 just ten years ago on a Pogo 1, it’s not bad is it…..”

He addes, “Thiswill give me a lot more confidence but it will not affect the way I approach or prepare for the next two legs”


 Édouard Golbery (Race for Science – Verder) received a 15-minute penalty for enteringthe DST at the Saint-Marcourf islands. He is now ranked 24th. “It’s a bit frustrating but at the same time, it’s a mistake on my part because I didn’t update the road book with the amendment in the race document. I had re-imported everything just before departure and I thought everything was up to date. Infact, the zone had to be created manually. I will know next time. I don't doubt my mistake but 15 minutes is not insignificant. That’s how it is, I’m a rookie,I won’t make the same mistake next time.”


Same penalty for New Zealand skipper Ben Beasley (Ocean Attitude), who entered the same TSS for the same reasons. “It’s disappointing but the jury’s decision is fair. The amendment came late, I didn't see it. Just the French version and I didn't understand. I thought they were going to update the Adrena files theygave us initially but they didn't. It's a hard lesson but I'm learning. In theend, it doesn’t change anything in terms of ranking but it means more time tomake up compared to those who are ahead,” he declared. He nevertheless retained his 29th place in the first stage ranking.


How to follow

SKIPPERS: https://www.lasolitaire.com/skippers

RANKING/TRACKER: https://lasolitaire.geovoile.com/2023/tracker/

MEDIA RESOURCES: https://www.lasolitaire.com/espace-presse

source:La Solitaire du Figaro PAPREC

ABOUT OC SPORT PEN DUICKOC Sport Pen Duick is the French subsidiary of the OC Sport group which runs offshore racing events. Created to manage the sports campaigns of Eric Tabarly, on the one hand, and Dame Ellen MacArthur on the other, emblematic figures of international sport, the group faithfully perpetuates the spirit and the values which animated these founding pioneers: living and sharing unique experiences with the public, athletes and partners.

Historically involved in offshore racing, the group has developed unique expertise in professional sailing based on dual know-how in team management and the organization of the most prestigious races (La Route du Rhum - Destination Guadeloupe, The Transat CIC, La Solitaire du Figaro Paprec, the Transat Paprec, ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE – Brest, Le Tour de Belle-île, etc.).

OC Sport Pen Duick is a Telegram Group company.


OC Sport Pen Duick

17 boulevard jean monnet, 56260, LARMOR-PLAGE

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas